Categories
Technology

Top Copper Mines in Canada

Copper has enormous economic importance for a country. Not only copper, but its alloys like Brass, Bronze, and Cupro nickel have significant prominence. The mining of copper has contributed to the economic sector by creating employment opportunities. Recycled copper contributes 30% of the total global utilization of copper.

Canada ranks among the top five countries in the production of 17 minerals and metals. Ontario and British Columbia are the two important producers of copper in Canada. British Columbia transports copper concentrates to Far East Asia for its further processing. 

Copper Mines

Canadian mines produced 543,608 tons of copper in 2019. There are various Canadian copper mining companies including Solaris Resources that together contribute to copper production. Here are the top mines of Canada that have substantial economic significance.

Copper Mountain Mine

The Copper Mountain Mining Corporation has ownership of 75% of this mine, while Mitsubishi Materials Corporation owns the remaining 25%. The open-pit mining method is used for mining. In the 21 years old mine, the mining method includes blast hole drilling, blasting, loading, and hauling. The mine is mineralized with alkalic porphyry deposits. Other commodities along with copper include Gold and Silver. 

Highland Valley Copper Operation

Owned by Teck Resources Ltd., Highland Valley Copper Operation is mined with the open-pit method. The mining method involves autogenous and semi-autogenous grinding and flotation methods. By these processes, concentrates are obtained from ore. In every pot, mining is done on a 15 meters bench. The mine is mineralized with typical porphyry copper-molybdenum deposits. Its commodities include copper and molybdenum.

Sudbury Operation

Owned by Vale Canada Ltd., this mine is mined with both open-pit and underground methods. The mining method includes Mechanized, Post Pillar, and Underhand Cut & Fill. Other methods may include Sub-level caving, Vertical block Mining, and Upper Retreat. The processing techniques involve Floatation, Magnetic Separation, Solvent Extraction & Electrowinning, and Rotary kiln & Electric furnace. The commodities obtained from this mine are Nickel, Copper, Cobalt, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, and Silver.

Red Chris Mine

For mining, the open-pit method is used. Owned by Red Chris Development Company Ltd., the indirect owners are Imperial Metal Corp. and Newcrest Mining Ltd. The 28.3 years old mine is mineralized with alkalic and calc-alkalic porphyry copper deposits. The commodities include copper, gold, and silver.

New Afton Mine

Owned by New Gold Inc., the mine can be mined with both open-type and Underground methods. The mine is deposited with a Silica-saturated, copper-gold alkali porphyry-style deposit. The mining method used in it is block caving. The processing method involves Filter press plant, Dewatering, Inline pressure Jig, Centrifugal concentrator, Gravity separation, Flotation, and Magnetic separation. The commodities obtained from this mine are copper, gold, and silver.

Conclusion

Canada is the fifth-largest copper mine producer in the world. Quebec is the city where the most diversified mining industry is located. Ontario is Canada’s largest minerals and metal producer; therefore, this province has contributed to the Country’s GDP. Canada has a successful history in the field of the mineral sector. The country’s mineral resource governance and sustainable development have supported international trade. Several Canadian companies are working abroad to meet global needs.

Leave a Reply